87 journalists had been assaulted and 20 had been taken into custody during the period
( November 20, 2016, Colombo, Sri Lanka Guardian) Thirteen journalists have been killed during the period January 2006 to January 2015, parliament was told yesterday.
Responding to a question raised by Kalurara District JVP MP, Dr Nalinda Jayatissa, Law and Order and Southern Development Minister Sagala Ratnayake said one journalist had gone missing during that period.
The minister said that 87 journalists had been assaulted and 20 had been taken into custody during the period.
Four media institutions had been attacked five times during the same period, the minister said adding that the then government officials had destroyed evidence with regard to those incidents.
He said that investigations into incidents of journalists harassed and suppressed were being resumed and evidence restored with great difficulty.
He said that legal action would be taken against those who destroyed the evidence. Several persons who had been involved in destroying evidence pertaining to those incidents are now under the remand custody, he said.